Sunday, May 4, 2008

East St. Louis and Drama

I haven't been updating my blog for many reasons, but work has really overtaken my life lately. Besides work, I have been with my bambino a lot lately and he has kept me busy also. After New York (and my "I'm not Michael Lucas, I Have a Sense of Humor Exhibit," yes, I let people draw all over my mug, but then again, I do not take myself so seriously you know), I went home to rest for a bit while my bambino went back to his home for a bit. I then went to LA, San Diego and then to San Francisco for work. So about 1 week ago my bambino and I flew to Colorado to pack up his stuff and drive back to Miami. I like to keep a lot of things private, especially when it comes to information I have on others, but I think my boyfriend will understand me writing about him. He is 19 and is having a bit of a rough time with life and has anxiety issues which sometimes climax into emotional break downs, on both our parts. While stuck in traffic in midst of of a snow storm, we decided to part ways, well, for at least for the moment. We drove to Denver airport where I picked up a rental car and he flew home to California. I was going to continue to drive back to Miami since I promised Manhunt that I would do shootings for them across America, but after driving a day through snow and then into tornado ravaged Kansas I was over it. The violent weather and XM radio kept me entertained on my drive across Kansas and Kansas City is actually quite a pretty city. Today I drove across Missouri to St. Louis. It is amazing how different Missouri is compared to Kansas in regards to geography and demography. After a pleasant drive through the rolling hills of Missouri I landed upon St. Louis. I drove past the airport that I have fond memories of my youth when I was flying TWA all the time. Since TWA's demise I had not flown through St. Louis in a long time. I was very surprised about how close St. Louis airport is to the city; basically only 15 minutes or so right into downtown. I checked into my room, did some work and then thought I would drive around a bit since I had only flown in and out of the city, but never checked out the city. I drove through historic downtown St. Louis down Market Street, made a right onto Broadway and then a left onto Eads Bridge. I was looking for a good view of the St. Louis Arch when I happened upon one of the bridges that crosses the mighty Mississippi. Maybe it was fate, but I crossed the only bridge crossing the Mississippi that does not connect directly to a freeway system but rather drops off into East St. Louis, Illinois. Now, I have been all over the world and have seen some pretty economically depressed areas. My ex boyfriend is from a favela in Brazil and I go to visit his family every time I go back. But what I saw today I just didn't think existed in America. I drove down Broadway until it ended and what I passed along the way made me sick; businesses abandoned long ago, beautiful historic buildings empty and falling apart, partially boarded up public housing, historic homes in disrepair, and empty lots with trash. I had mixed feelings about my safety and my desire to get out of my car and engage the residents, which I finally did. Yes, I parked the car and approached some young black guys walking with a young white girl. I told them I had never seen anything like this in America and I wanted to know what they thought of their neighborhood and what I could do in any simple way to help. The oldest kid, probably about 20 or so, flat out told me to write the government and tell them what I think. All of them had their input except the white girl that just looked at me with suspicion. Another 2 young black guys walked up and they were equally happy to jump in on the conversation and tell me their thoughts. The original kids finally left as I insisted that one of them take my personal e-mail so I could communicate with them and hopefully help them some way in the future. I asked one last time what I could do to help and one guy politely asked for $2 for the tram. I pulled out my wallet which surprised them. As they came closer to me I looked at what I had and decided how much I really needed it. I asked one of them if they all were friends and if he would share the money that I would give him and he affirmed. I gave him a $20 and he was so thankful then he ran over to the rest of the guys and promptly showed them the $20 as to share it with them. They all gave me a "thumbs up" and waved bye to me with big smiles....it made me feel faith in humanity that the kid shared it with his friends.









No comments:

Post a Comment