Friday, September 12, 2008

Brush with Hurricane Ike

Well, it has been a wild week in Miami Beach. Just as I started to get some work done and take a few days at the beach the news started reporting about Ike. As Ike moved closer Florida declared a State of Emergency on Thursday and by Friday panic took over. We had a Category 4 Hurricane headed directly for us, so my business partner and I had to make evacuation plans, especially since we live 2 blocks from the beach and we work from home. Friday night I was coming home from, well I can't remember, but I stopped by Publix (our supermarket) and all the bottled water was gone, people were frantically pushing carts through the aisles, and about 50% of non-perishable items were ripped from the shelves. Ok, I'm usually not one to panic, but when I see other people panic I get nervous.





One of Ike's outter bands movin' in


However, the next morning we woke up to see that Ike started heading south. By mid-day we were almost out of the cone. Sunday morning rolled around and we were 95% sure we would miss the brunt of Ike. What better to do than to ask Eddie Diaz to head to the beach with me, but by the time we left home one of Ike's bands blew in and we headed to The Palace for shelter (and mojitos). We did get a quick dip in the turbulent ocean though!



One of the reasons I live on South Beach :)

Sunday evening I went to the closing party of Click at Dek 23. Omar, the promoter has been a friend for a long time so I agreed to bring my camera and film away! I had a great time playing with my camera and acting as interviewer (watch out Barbara Walters)! Later that night Rich and I popped by Twist to say "hi" to Pussila. Of course, she was acting as crazy as ever finding new ways to use colorful condoms! Monday night Rich and I went to Club Chat Noir at Dream. Chat Noir is the most fun on South Beach with a great mix of people. If you ever make it to South Beach Chat Noir is a must!


Now I am in NY writing this at a Starbucks and preparing for my next international adventure. More to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment