Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day trip to Timisoara



After a few days of Mr. Pam, Rich and I constantly working we all agreed to finally go out and about. I had already planned a trip to look for a country house to film at and go on to Monte Negro and return through Kosovo, but we all decided we had too much work to do so we had to cut that trip and do something that would take less time and effort.

I suggested a quick trip to Timisoara, Romania, and Mr. Pam and Rich thought "cool!" So we took off to the North-East part of Serbia which happens to be very pretty with amazing little towns with really old buildings that look like the American Old West! At the border the Serbians harassed us a bit (something to do with my video camera) but they left me alone finally (I'm sure the border agent called us "dirty Americans" or something, I just could not tell what adjective he used...I just know his tone of voice was nasty and "Americani" followed it!).



The drive through Romania was equally as amazing, but very different from Serbia. First, the architecture is a world of difference and I could understand many of the street signs because Romanian is a Latin language and similar to Spanish in many ways. We arrived into Timisoara on its ugly industrial side, but then we happened upon the very beautiful downtown with amazing architecture and streetcars. i parked the car and we stumbled upon the main square where we ate a great tasting, but cheap meal. We then walked down to a very interesting church (I think it is Orthodox) and then got back in the car and started our drive back to Serbia.





On the way home we saw what looked like a carnival so we stopped and check it out and what an experience! The carnival was run by Gypsies and they were playing amazing music and selling local items and toys. We hung out a bit and then decided we better get going because it started turning dark and I hate driving in foreign countries at night. We finally got back around 10pm and we all ordered room service and went to bed early.




No comments:

Post a Comment